Dr Momotaj Islam
BSc (Hons); PGDipCBT; DClinPsych; CPsychol AFBPsS
Chartered Clinical Psychologist (BPS; HCPC Registered)
BABCP Accredited CBT Therapist
Applied Psychology Practice Supervisor (BPS, RAPPS)
Hello. My name is Momotaj Islam. I am a Chartered Clinical Psychologist and a BABCP-Accredited Cognitive Behavioural Therapist based in Southwest London. I have over 20 years’ experience of working in psychological services within the NHS. I have also been teaching and supervising trainee psychologists and therapists in academic settings for over 10 years.
I provide a range of services that fall under the remit of Clinical Psychology, the main one being assessment and therapy with adults for a wide range of issues. In therapy, you will find a safe, non-judgmental environment in which you can speak openly and confidentially about whatever is concerning you. We would work together on identifying the current problems and the factors that may be maintaining them, exploring how they might have developed and planning how you might change things to move beyond the point of difficulty. It is about providing you with a space to reflect on your experiences and their impact on you and possible influence your choices in work, relationships and life in general.
If we identify a specific mental health condition such as depression or an anxiety disorder, we can work through evidence-based treatment approaches such as Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT), tailored to your individual needs, to help you develop strategies for coping better. I am experienced in and incorporate a range of other approaches when they are appropriate, such as general counselling approaches, Acceptance & Commitment Therapy (ACT) and mindfulness approaches.
I have done considerable additional training in CBT, and hence it is my main area of specialism. CBT is a therapeutic approach which has a strong scientific evidence base for the treatment of a wide range of mental health problems. It is often recommended by GPs as it is the evidence-based treatment for depression and anxiety-related disorders recommended by The National Institute for Health and Clinical Excellence (NICE). However, as a Clinical Psychologists I am trained to do in-depth assessments of the full range of mental health problems, so if what I can offer does not appear suitable for you or your problem, I have the expertise, based on practical and theoretical knowledge of other therapeutic approaches, to recommend alternative therapies and can signpost accordingly.
I hope you will find all the information you need in the following pages to help you decide if you would like to go ahead and book an assessment with me. If you have any unanswered questions or would just like to discuss your issues briefly, please feel free to contact me.
Qualifications & Accreditation
I have the following relevant qualifications:
- Doctorate in Clinical Psychology (PsychD Clin) (University of Surrey)
- Post-graduate Diploma (PgDip) in Cognitive Behavioural Therapies (Institute of Psychiatry, King’s College, London)
- Post-graduate Certificate (PgCert) in Psychology & Counselling Skills (City University, London)
- Bsc (Hons) Psychology (University of Westminster, London)
- I have done post-qualification training (continued professional development /CPD) in a range of specific areas of psychological therapy, including: Third-wave CBT therapies (MBCT; ACT; Schema Therapy, etc); Supervision; Couples Therapy; Islamic Approaches to Psychology & Therapy….
Professional Registration & Accreditation
My professional registrations and accreditations include:
- I am registered with the Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC), which regulates and monitors the practice of Psychologists.
- I am a Chartered member (CPsychol) and Associate Fellow (AFBPsS) of the British Psychological Society (BPS).
- I am an Accredited CBT Therapist with the British Association for Behavioural and Cognitive Psychotherapies (BABCP)
- I am on the BPS Register of Approved Psychology Practice Supervisors (RAPPS)
- I am an accredited user of the DISCO Assessment Schedule for Autistic Spectrum Disorders (Lorna Wing Centre for Autism).